Posted on 11/14/2019 at 12:40 PM by Dena Boelter
A recent poll demonstrated that out of 1,000 employees surveyed 335 admitted to feeling “annoyance” or “dread” when thinking about making decisions during their next open enrollment (www.shrm.org). Increasing costs and complexity are big contributors to this frustration. In an effort to remove some of the stress from your 2020 benefit decisions, consider the following tips:
- Review the benefits presentation and all the materials multiple times.
- Share these materials with your spouse or another trusted partner to get their feedback.
- Make your decision after careful consideration over the course of a few days. Don’t pressure yourself to read the materials, watch the video, and make decisions all within an hour. Allow yourself a few days to decide.
- Be thoughtful about your choices. Unless you have a qualifying event, you can’t change these elections during the year.
- Research with your spouse and dependents the best way to get the necessary coverage for you and your family.
- Consider a high deductible plan in conjunction with a health savings account.
- Calculate anticipated expenses based on your prescriptions and anticipated known medical conditions.
- Use www.Goodrx.com to make the most cost-effective choices when purchasing medications.
- Think about using www.virtuwell.com to address minor medical issues. This can be done from a smartphone or tablet and is more cost-effective than using a clinic.
- Ask questions if you don’t understand.
Don Hummer Trucking's open enrollment is November 26th - December 9th. Watch for additional communications from Human Resources that contains enrollment directions. Medical insurance enrollees are required to make a decision during open enrollment to have coverage in 2020.