Posted on 09/05/2018 at 11:05 AM by Troy Cummings
Happy Labor Day
Labor Day is a public holiday celebrated on the first Monday in September. It was created to recognize all the contributions American workers made to the strength, prosperity, laws, and well-being of the country.
For many of us, Labor Day is a celebration of the unofficial end of summer.
Here are a few fun facts about Labor Day:
- The first Labor Day holiday was celebrated on September 5, 1882 in Union Square, New York City.
- The top grossing movie opening on Labor Day Weekend was Halloween in 2007.
- Labor Day is considered the end of hot dog season. The National Hot Dog and Sausage Council state that Americans consume 7 billion hot dogs from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
- Oregon was the first state to make Labor Day an official holiday in 1887.
- 25 percent of Americans will travel out of town for Labor Day weekend, 86 percent by car, and seven percent by plane.
Written by Angie Walters