Posted on 10/24/2017 at 05:00 AM by Troy Cummings
Stamping out Stress
Stress is a normal part of life and is the body’s reaction to any change that requires an adjustment or response. The body reacts to this stress with physical, mental, and emotional responses.
Stress that continues without relief can have damaging effects on your health. Symptoms include headaches, upset stomach, elevated blood pressure, chest pain, back pain, IBS, weight gain, advanced aging symptoms, problems sleeping, depression, anxiety and more. Research also suggests that stress can bring on or worsen pre-existing symptoms or diseases.
Stress Relief Tips:
- Smell some citrus! Research shows that citrus fragrances boost feelings of wellbeing and alleviates stress by raising levels of norepinephrine – a hormone that affects mood. Try a citrus-scented essential oil or peeling and eating an orange when you feel a surge or stress.
- Walk away your worries! The rhythm and repetition of walking have a tranquilizing effect on the brain, and it decreases anxiety and improves sleep. 30 minutes of walking per day is recommended!
- Laugh your stress away! Laughing reduces stress hormones, which, in turn, helps immune cells function better. Watch a funny movie, listen to a podcast or hang out with your funny friends.
- Go spicy! Hot foods trigger the release of endorphins – the natural chemicals that trigger feelings of euphoria and wellbeing.
- Think positive! Negative thinking can trigger the body’s stress response. Focusing on the positive will help you cope with challenges that come your way. Learn the difference between things that you can and cannot control in your life.
Written by Kasey Lockett, Rolling Strong Wellness Coach