Posted on 06/20/2016 at 12:54 PM by Dena Boelter
Summer is here!
On days where the heat and humidity are bearable, my brother and I enjoy finding hiking spots around the area. Our most recent venture was at Palisades – Kepler State Park. There is a lovely 2.1 mile hike along the Cedar River. It is a nice short hike, most of which is shaded.
Another favorite of ours is Backbone State Park in Dundee, Iowa. Backbone was Iowa’s very first state park. The Park has 21 miles of rugged trails, and limestone cliffs (for those brave enough).
The 7 top hiking spots in Iowa:
- Backbone State Park – Dundee, IA
- Effigy Mounds – Harpers Ferry, IA
- Ledges State Park – Boone, IA
- Loess Hills State Forest – Harrison and Monona Counties, IA
- Maquoketa Caves – Maquoketa, IA
- Mines of Spain State Recreation Area – Dubuque, IA
- Pikes Peak State Park – McGregor, IA
If you are looking for something to do this summer, I recommend checking out one of these spots!
Written by Akeyla Choate