Posted on June 3, 2016 at 4:55 PM by Blog Committee
Being in an accident can be scary and nerve-racking. Below are some steps to follow if you ever find yourself in this situation. Keep in mind - if you are not sure what to do, please call and ask for assistance. The safety team will direct you in how to proceed.
1. Stop – Failure to stop at the scene of a crash in which you are involved is a criminal offense.
2. Protect the scene - Turn on your 4-way flashers.
3. Set out emergency reflectors to warn approaching traffic – your accident kit has the reflector placements, in case you need to reference it.
4. Notify the police – Give them street names, landmarks, etc. Let them know of any apparent injuries or fire hazards at the scene.
5. Notify your company - Let your company or dispatch know of the crash and any probable delays in delivery.
6. Collect and document all the facts – You should have a crash report kit in your vehicle to record crash details.This information is appropriate even if the crash appears to be minor or without damage.
7. Take photos – If it is safe to do so, take as many pictures as you can. Get photos of any damage, license plates, road signs, etc. The more pictures, the better!
8. Protect any cargo and equipment – Avoid leaving your cargo and equipment unattended, except in extreme emergencies.
9. Notify the insurance company – Let them know what is going on so that they can dispatch an adjuster if needed. It is important to report accidents in a timely matter.
To help keep claim costs down, please follow these steps and communicate with the safety department. Keep in mind, witnesses are a great resource and can be very helpful in determining a claim. Thank you for all you do out there, and safe driving!
Written by Akeyla Choate